Tuesday, July 3, 2012

... our guide forever ...

  9 We ponder your steadfast love, O God,
          in the midst of your temple.
10 Your name, O God, like your praise,
          reaches to the ends of the earth.
         Your right hand is filled with victory.
12 Walk about Zion, go all around it,
         count its towers,
13 consider well its ramparts;
         go through its citadels,
         that you may tell the next generation
14 that this is God,
         our God forever and ever.
         [GOD] will be our guide forever.
[Psalm 48: 9-10, 12-14 NRSV]

      For most people, when someone "does something really nice for them" - they share the news at least with their family and their close friends. I know that I have shared with my family and friends when someone has helped me out of a difficult situation, and I have also shared the good news of the birth of my children and my grandchildren. I’ve even shared the news of some "outstanding gifts" given to me for a birthday or at Christmas; like the Kindle Fire that my wife gave to me upon my retirement (and for my birthday!)
      There are also some people that have been so impressed by the "great honors" that others have bestowed upon them that they are willing to openly share the news with anyone who might even pause to listen. Such events might include a new car, a graduation, an engagement, a wedding, and the birth of a child. When these events happen in our lives we feel compelled to tell just about anyone who might pause and listen for a few seconds.
      While I was reading from the 48th Psalm I was reminded to pause and ask the question, "Have we even once in a while taken the time to considered all that God has done for us, and then been willing to share this news with others?" God has given each one of us life. God has given each one of us opportunities. I’ve sometimes heard the expression, "I thank my lucky stars," when someone is sharing their story of good luck. Maybe we should take a few moments to remember and thank God a little more openly and publicly.

1 comment: