Thursday, June 21, 2012

Open wide your hearts

As we work together with him,
we urge you also not to accept the grace of God in vain.
For he says,
     "At an acceptable time I have listened to you,
       and on a day of salvation I have helped you."
See, now is the acceptable time; see, now is the day of salvation!

We have spoken frankly to you Corinthians; our heart is wide open to you.
There is no restriction in our affections, but only in yours.
In return — I speak as to children — open wide your hearts also.
[2nd Corinthians 6:1-2, 11-13 NRSV]


     What does it really mean when we are asked to open wide our hearts? I’m sure that the author is not speaking directly to encourage any one of us to have "open heart surgery." I’m rather certain that what the author is trying to encourage those who read these words to do is to embrace those individuals who are around us; those whose paths have crossed ours.
     It has always been far to easy for humanity to form exclusive families, clans, or even nations. Many individuals have even been encouraged to gather into exclusive racial or ethnic communities. But it is my belief that the author of these words is encouraging all readers to remember that we are all a part of God’s creation. Be careful here, for I am not saying that there is not a special bound to be found within families, and I’m certainly not claiming that it is inappropriate to form a deeper relationship with individuals who share special bonds with us. Rather what I have heard this author tell us is that we should be careful about judging others before we really have a chance to know them.
     The ones who are different from us may also be able to help us understand the true depth of our own beliefs. Sometimes we may even be blessed by the talents and skills of those who are different from us. I know that there are individuals who "rub me the wrong way," but then I remember that I should stop and consider how often I have rubbed others the wrong way.

1 comment:

  1. I like the open heart surgery concept, what it would take for some of us to open our hearts.

    ReplyDelete